Port Hope Simpson wild bay

historical fiction based on year as vso volunteer in Port Hope Simpson, Labrador, Newfoundland, Canada 1969-70 and coming back out to The Town of Port Hope Simpson's Coming Home Celebrations in July 2002; also based on holiday travels; Richard ap Meurig's sense of purpose, peace, quietness,returning to awe-inspiring wilderness of The Labrador, spiritual retreat & renewal...http://porthopesimpson.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

45. town,” said Richard




as he piled in with his questions. Luke shifted uneasily, “That's right. Them Dawsons told me they thought they were my real mother and father. I heard all sorts of tales. I still don't know which one to believe. He stared at Richard as if he was challenging him to tell him where he came from.
“They left with another baby,” said Richard;” must have been about your age. His name was Leon.”
“Why you tell me this?” Luca flipped his knife from one hand to the other.
“Because he might be your twin brother.”
“Nah, I was brought up by the Dawsons I was that’s all there is to it,” as he stabbed his knife hard in the floor.
“Why did you try and frighten me off them?”
“Because I heard all sorts of questions you were asking about Mrs Jeffrey an’ all.”
Richard was pushing hard for answers.
”What’s Mrs Jeffrey to you?”
“Don't know. I feels strange, as if I know her. Maybe she is my mother after all.” He pulled the knife out to the floor and hurled it at the wall were it stuck fast, quivering.
“Is that why you tried to warn me off? Because you'd thought she’d murdered her own husband and baby?" Richard looked straight at Luke demanding an answer.
“Don't know. Not sure. I just knows I have never liked anybody fooling around the tombstone. It’s all too much. It’s sacred land. People should stay away. What's done is done. Nothing can change that.”
Richard finished off his meal. He was unsure how far he should go with questioning Luke. There were obvious limitations to his knowledge about his own past and he didn't seem at all worried if he didn't find out who he really was or where he came from. He seemed contented