Port Hope Simpson wild bay

historical fiction based on year as vso volunteer in Port Hope Simpson, Labrador, Newfoundland, Canada 1969-70 and coming back out to The Town of Port Hope Simpson's Coming Home Celebrations in July 2002; also based on holiday travels; Richard ap Meurig's sense of purpose, peace, quietness,returning to awe-inspiring wilderness of The Labrador, spiritual retreat & renewal...http://porthopesimpson.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

29. “No chance. Impossible.




I didn’t have my rifle with me or the son– of–a-bitch would be in the graveyard by now. I could tell where it came from but I wasn’t in any sort of a position to do anything about it.
It was a warning shot.
Keep out or else!
I assume he was concerned about the sort of questions I have been asking.”
“What makes you say that?”
“Gut reaction that’s all. I know that if he had wanted to kill me he would have done so. I was out there in the open for a few moments with no protection. No, it was a warning shot alright. Anyway Oscar, enough of my problems, let’s hear the rest of your story.”
Oscar pushed back his chair, attempted to stretch out his legs but failed. Pulling in his chair again feeling slightly embarrassed, he again looked closely at Richard’s face. Wondering why he was really here after all those years. What did he stand to gain from all this? Why was he so interested in the tombstone? He sensed that Richard was still as straight as a die as when he first met him in 1969. Remorseless in the pursuit of truth and understanding in his job; the same qualities were now been brought to bear about the tombstone. Nothing had changed his first impressions of the man. What you see is what you get thought Oscar to himself. He’s a timber wolf.
Richard didn’t like it at all that a fellow Welshman had come out with his son and Manager in July 1934 and ruthlessly set about making fast bucks at the expense of the local people. People who were Richard’s friends. J.O.J. was a greedy, money person who would go to any lengths to get what he wanted and God help anybody who stood in his way. He borrowed to cover his expenses and then