Port Hope Simpson wild bay

historical fiction based on year as vso volunteer in Port Hope Simpson, Labrador, Newfoundland, Canada 1969-70 and coming back out to The Town of Port Hope Simpson's Coming Home Celebrations in July 2002; also based on holiday travels; Richard ap Meurig's sense of purpose, peace, quietness,returning to awe-inspiring wilderness of The Labrador, spiritual retreat & renewal...http://porthopesimpson.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

18. C’mon, sit yourself down and I’ll git ya a drink and a piece of ginger cake.”



Richard noticed the two pretty Portuguese dolls sewed into the sides of his dark red cushioned armchair.
“Is Sam in?”
“I’ll go and get him for you. He’s very deaf now you know. I’ll translate for you. He’ll understand me alright.”
When Sam appeared from his bedroom, Richard could see that he was a dignified sort of man. Richard knew full well that his spirit was still as strong as ever.
“You’re another one of Them Englishman?” he said with a twinkle in his eye.
“No I’m not. Just because I speak English doesn’t mean I am English. I’m from Wales. I’m Richard Ap Meurig Sam. Remember me?”
Sam appeared to be at a loss. Then Lizzie appeared with the drink and cake and he shouted at her, “What did he say?”
“You’ll have to excuse him he’s nearly completely deaf. Tell me what you want so I can explain things to him,” said Lizzie.
Richard started off by asking Sam whether or not he knew anything about the deaths of James Jones and Emily Jeffrey who were buried under the tombstone.
“My yes. I know a lot about that 'coz I was there. We wuz the first people to reach the fire. We’d been told by the Manager to make sure there were fire axes in all the rooms as a safety precaution. We’d clove up so many junks the basement was full to the ceiling. When we got there it looked like all the doors and windows had been barred up with planks of wood. We ripped them down off one window and pulled her through. All covered in blood she was from head to foot. I’ve never seen so much blood in all my life but the strange thing was that after they had